Friday 18 October 2013

Drawings in a Sketchbook



I rarely show my drawings, somehow they feel almost too private, too intimate.  Or they seem to me to be like "workings out" they are part of my creative process but they are not the final result.  




To me drawing can be a way of thinking, perceiving, processing, observing, slowing down, not really intended to be shown as finished works.  




These drawings are from a small brown paper paged sketchbook, and the drawings were made in the Natural History Museum in Oxford.  I had a phase of cycling past there most days on the way to work, or to my studio.  So I would often go in and make quite quick drawings, maybe spending about 10-25 minutes on each, and working with a soft pencil and a rubber to make fluid lines.  




At the time I was attempting to make my first sheep masks and so these little studies of structure and skeletons informed that process.  

No comments:

Post a Comment